Full Stack Ruby on Rails Developer
North American Candidates Only
We are looking for a full stack Ruby on Rails developer who wants to be involved in all aspects of running a web SaaS.
There are no silos here. As Punchpass grows we need help in many different areas. Week to week it could be helping support to troubleshoot escalated issues, refactoring existing code, ongoing infrastructure upgrades, and new feature development.
This is a position where you'll constantly be learning, trying new things, and seeing directly all the trade-offs and real-world issues that come with running an existing global SaaS.
For this position we are only considering candidates in North America as we need significant overlap with the majority of the team.
To start you'll work closely with our founder learning how Punchpass works and is architected, and working closely with support to troubleshoot & fix escalated issues. From there we'll layer in more work around refactoring, testing, and improving existing and new Punchpass features.
You will have a direct impact on the Punchpass product.
Here's what we'd like to see from you:
- 3+ years working with Ruby on Rails. We’re all-in for Rails.
- Front end work with Stimulus JS (or just strong JS experience) is a big plus.
- A passion for learning, and a nose for troubleshooting
- Proactive and resourceful. You work on your own initiative, and you find answers to questions yourself. (But you aren't afraid to ask for help!)
- An understanding that sometimes good enough is good enough - there are always trade offs. We like to ship.
- Great communication skills and the ability to work independently. “A Manager of One”
- A positive, 'let's get going' attitude. Things right now are hard enough - we try to stay positive around here!
The Tech Stack
Ruby on Rails 5.2 (soon to be 6!) hosted on Heroku
- PostgreSQL on Heroku
- Foundation CSS & Stimulus JS
- HerokuCI & Github
- Multiple 3rd party APIs: Stripe, Zoom, Square, Cloudflare
- Sendgrid/Postmark for emailHow We Work
Strong communication skills are required for this position, as we are 100% remote. You'll occasionally be communicating with customers, as well as documenting all the changes you make. The primary tools we use for team communication are Basecamp, Notion, and Zoom. In our app, billing is with Stripe, and customer communication is through Intercom.
Lots of our communication is asynchronous, so you need to be comfortable communicating via your keyboard. We have team meetings 1-2x week, but don't do daily stand ups or check ins . Team members work from wherever they'd like -- home, coworking spots, small offices --and there are no set expectations around specific work hours during the day.
We've found a nice balance between being connected to your teammates (you're not on an island!) but having the flexibility & autonomy to do your job AND deal with all the fun changes life is throwing our way. 😅 You could say we're focused on a healthy, sustainable, remote culture.Benefits
This is a full-time position available to remote candidates in North America. The salary range for this position is $90,000 - $110,000 depending on the level of experience.
For candidates located in the U.S., we offer partially paid health, dental, vision insurance. Other benefits include a 401k with 4% company match, a relaxed 15 day vacation policy (plus holidays), as well as paid parental leave. And of course we'll work with you to make sure you have the equipment you need to do your job (computer, monitors, etc.)
What makes Punchpass different from other opportunities?
We've been around a long time so we have a successful, stable business. But still LOTS of opportunities to grow.
- We are small - really small. You will have a strong voice in any discussion.
- Bootstrapped & profitable - no VC/Investor growth pressure here.
- Our work matters. Every day we hear from customers whose businesses have been fundamentally changed for the better by Punchpass. We have real connections with our customers.Interested?
We hope that candidates of all backgrounds
will apply for this position. Punchpass serves a very diverse client base and our goal is to have our team match that client base as best we can. You can see more about the current team by visiting https://punchpass.com/about-us
and hovering over each team member.
Thanks for considering us, and we look forward to hearing from you!Click here to apply